10 April 1956-9th Cavalry Inactivated at Fort KNox, Kentucky
Today, Fort Knox continues its proud tradition of service in defense of the nation. its 109,000 acres house HRC, USACC, USAREC, and additional units and service as training area for numerous Active and Reserve Component units.
Fort Knox began as Camp Knox in 1918, when the U.S. Government leased approximately 40,000 acres for artillery training. The surrounding area had served as a training area for Cavalry units prior to that. The post is named to honor Henry Knox, Chief of Artillery of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War and the first Secretary of War for the United States.
In 1931, a small force of the Mechanized Cavalry was assigned to Camp Knox to use it as a training site. The camp was turned into a permanent garrison in January 1932 and renamed Fort Knox. The 1st Cavalry Regiment arrived later in the month to become the 1st Mechanized Cavalry Regiment.
Fort Knox was the home of the Army’s Armor and Cavalry training and doctrine from then until 2011, when BRAC 2005 caused the U.S. Army Armor Center and School to join the Infantry Center and School at Fort Benning, Georgia to from the Maneuver Center of Excellence.